- Meetings & Activities
- PONY Cruise Schedules
- Featured Articles/Essays
- PONY Branch 50th Anniversary Luncheon
- NYC Celebrates Cunard's 175th Anniversary
- 1885 Tall Ship WAVERTREE
- 1965 Maiden Arrival of SS MICHELANGELO by Ted Scull
- Private Charter of NCL Norwegian Getaway as the Bud Light Hotel
- Recent Photos from Rob O'Brien
- Norwegian Breakaway Departing NYC - May 2013 by Stuart Gewirtzman
- Recent Photos by G. Justin Zizes 2013
- Harbor Cruise
October 23, 2011
- A Visit to the NS Savannah by Greg Fitzgerald
- Norwegian Epic in NYC - July 2010
- Maritime New York
- PONY Resources
- The Porthole Newsletter
- Sept 21 - THE ULTIMATE OVERLAND AND OVERSEA JOURNEY presented by Ted Scull (Note New Venue - 330 Seventh Ave @ W.29th Street)
- Sept 23/30 - Members' Cruise on the QUEEN MARY 2
- Oct 13 - Dinner Cruise in New York Harbor
- Nov 17 - Ocean Liner Bazaar
- Aug 19, 2019 - Members' Cruise on MV INSIGNIA
- Sept 9 - 26th ANNUAL GREAT NORTH RIVER TUGBOAT RACEs
- Opening June 23 - MILLIONS: MIGRANTS AND MILLIONAIRES ABOARD THE GREAT LINERS, 1900-1914, at the South Street Seaport Museum
- June 2018 edition of the PORTHOLE posted - 8/13/18
- New MARITIME NEW YORK compendium of lectures, exhibits, tours and transportation around the Port of New York added - 8/13/2018
- 2018 PONY Cruise Schedule updated - 9/08/2018
MARITIME NEW YORK
Lectures, Exhibits, Tours and Transportation Around the Port of New York
Compiled by Ted Scull
SOUTH STREET SEAPORT MUSEUM www.southstreetseaportmuseum.org or 212-748-8600
"Archipelago New York: The island world beyond Manhattan,” Thursday, September 6, 2018 at 6:30 p.m.,
$10 (free for members). Book Talk with Thomas Halaczinsky: stunning photography taken from a sailboat tells the stories of New York islands you probably haven’t heard of.
SEAPORT WALKING TOURS explore the history of the South Street Seaport Historic District on the last Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday of the month at 6 p.m. $20 ($10 for members).
Wednesday: Run Runners and Revolutionaries
Thursday: The Curious Life of the Brooklyn Bridge
Friday: Sex, Liquor, and Murder – Adults-only (18 and older) evening tour.
GOVERNORS ISLAND https://www.govisland.com
Open until October 31. Monday-Thursday 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Friday 10 a.m.-10 p.m., Saturday 10 a.m.-11 p.m.
And Sunday 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Late Fridays until Sept 14; late Saturdays until Sept. 1.
Ferries from Battery Maritime Building (adjacent to S.I. Ferry Terminal) beginning at 10:00 a.m., or from Pier 6 Brooklyn Bridge Park (Foot of Atlantic Avenue) Saturday & Sunday only from 11:00 a.m.
FIREBOAT JOHN J. HARVEY https://www.1931fireboat.org/
Last public trips of the Season (Free): Aug. 25, 26 and Sep. 1, 2, 8, 15, 16, 22, 23, 29, 30, Oct. 7. See Calendar and notice about departure location – either Pier 6 Brooklyn Bridge Park or Pier 25 Hudson River Park.
NYC FERRY https://www.ferry.nyc/
The newish city-financed ferry system currently operates four routes: Astoria, East River, Rockaway, and South Brooklyn. New routes: East River stops to Soundview in the Bronx (starts 8/15) and Lower East Side Ferry (starts 8/28). Fare matches the $2.75 transit fare. The rides make great outings.
THE WORKING HARBOR COMMITTEE www.workingharbor.comor 212-757-1600
Cruises to both remote and well-travelled parts of New York Harbor. Watch the 26th Annual Great North River Tugboat Race & Competition on Sunday, Sep. 9 from 10:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Boarding begins at 10:15 a.m. from Pier 83, West 43rd St./Hudson River Park. Spectators onboard from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
NEW YORK WATER TAXI www.nywatertaxi.comor 866-989-2542. Hop On Hop Off All Day Access Pass from 42nd Street (Hudson River) to Battery Park, South Street Seaport and Brooklyn DUMBO.
CIRCLE LINE www.circleline.com or 212-563-3200. Cruises around Manhattan, Harbor Lights, Music from Pier 83 West 43rd Street, Hudson River and Pier 16, East River.
NEW YORK WATERWAY www.nywaterway.com or 800-533-3779. Ferry services from West 39th Street, Battery Park City, and Pier 11, Wall Street to numerous landings on the New Jersey side and to Belford, North Jersey Coast. Special-event cruises.
THE NATIONAL LIGHTHOUSE MUSEUM www.lighthousemuseum.org or 718-390-0040. Located near the Staten Island Ferry Terminal at St. George. Self-guided, cruises to area lighthouses and events on site.
THE NOBLE MARITIME COLLECTION swww.noblemaritime.org or 718-447-6490. Ship Model Gallery, lectures and art exhibits at the Sailors’ Snug Harbor Cultural Center on Staten Island, NY. Bus S40 from Staten Island Ferry Terminal.